Oracle 8i Personal Edition on Windows 2000 Professional? Not a winning combination.

From: jean-paul <jeanpaul_at_nospam.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 02:34:48 GMT

I've tried several times to run Oracle 8i Personal edition on Windows 2000 Professional with no success, even using two different computers with different setups. Indeed, the product installed without any problem, but when re-starting Windows I consistently got my databases in a 'starting' (?) state as shown in Windows services rather than in a 'started' state as expected. I was able to create users in these 'starting' databases and even create tables. Though, it was impossible to export for example. After several attempts at exporting, the systems got so 'corrupted' that I had to un-install Oracle and start all over again.

Let me mention that I subsequently had absolutely no problem running Oracle 8.0.5 on these computers and that I'm quite happy with it.

Did I miss something in the setup of 8i Personal edition?

Jean-Paul Received on Tue Jan 09 2001 - 20:34:48 CST