Re: sqlplus from Unix prompt

From: News Junkie <NewsJunkie_at_news.mwh.com>
Date: 9 Jan 2001 15:26:50 GMT

peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov (Brian Peasland) wrote in <3A5B192A.18A72E89_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>:

>The LOGIN.SQL file will only get executed from one of two locations. It
>will get executed from your current directory when you launch SQL*Plus
>if it exists in that directory. If it does not exist in your current
>directory, then it searches the directories specified in your SQLPATH
>environment variable. (Note: this location may actually contain multiple
>locations). So if you don't want to execute the LOGIN.SQL file, make
>sure that one is not in your current directory and point your SQLPATH
>environment variable to someplace else (or better yet, unset your
>environment variable).
>
>HTH,
>Brian

SQL*Plus does NOT work as described above on Solaris. I ran truss against a process that had invoked SQLPlus, but had not yet provided a username/password. Below are the results -

Script done, file is sqlogin.log
SUPERUSER_at_tantalus:/tmp> grep log sqlogin.log

stat64("/dev/conslog", 0xEFFFC358)              = 0
stat64("/dev/conslog", 0xEFFFC938)              = 0
access("/home/charliem/osm/dyna/login.sql", 0)  = 0
open("/home/charliem/osm/dyna/login.sql", O_RDONLY) = 9 open("/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.6.2/sqlplus/admin/glogin.sql", O_RDONLY) = 12

Only TWO directories/files were checked, even though my SQLPATH contains many more directories as shown below.

charliem_at_tantalus(EDWDEV):/home/charliem> echo $SQLPATH /usr/local/sql:/home/charliem/sql:/usr/local/oracle/sql:/u01/app/oracle/loc al/sql:/home/charliem/sql:/home/oracle/sql

HTH & YMMV! Received on Tue Jan 09 2001 - 09:26:50 CST