Re: Simple query makes Oracle hang

From: Alex Filonov <afilonov_at_pro-ns.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 20:40:25 GMT

In article <93dgrg$f4s$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   faheemrao_at_my-deja.com wrote:

Strange that your tools are not responding. Check if anyone played with Oracle server processes priorities and move that person as far from your system as possible. As for query, not in uses very inefficient execution plan. Use not exists clause instead:

select file_name from Filatable t
where filetypeID= 2
and not exists
( select filecategory from fileCat c
  where c.filecategory = t.filecategory)

> I have a problem in running a simple SQl query.
>
> This is very strange that the following query makes all oracle front
> end tool makes "not responding". including sql plus and Oracle
> worksheet.
>
> select file_name from Filatable
> where filetypeID= 2
> and
> FileCategory NOT IN ( select filecategory from fileCat)
>
> But if omit the not operator that query runs fine.
>
> select file_name from Filatable
> where filetypeID= 2
> and
> FileCategory IN ( select filecategory from fileCat)
>
> I am badly struck with that problem.
>
> any help would do a lot
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Faheem Rao