Re: HARDWARE

From: Ted Knijff <knijff_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 19:50:16 GMT

The hard disk - better to have 4 SCSI drives of 9GB than 1 of 36GB. Use two for the data, one for the log files (and perhaps index tablespaces) and one for the OS and \oracle\bin etc. And if you can afford to mirror the drives, then all the better.

The processor is secondary to the memory and tertiary to the design of the database. So first design the database (schema) well. Then look at the number of connections (sessions) that will run in parallel and the rate of access to the database and the complexity of the queries. The rule of thumb wuld be 128MB plus 10MB per session rounded up to a multiple of 128MB for a low rate database hit rate and less complex queries. Double each for higher rates, compley queris etc.

Same for the CPU. You can run a good DBMS with a 300MHz CPU for low hit rates.

These are just personal rule of thumb estimates.

Ted

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001 13:52:41 +0100, "Dalibor Malek" <d.malek_at_multikom.at> wrote:

>Hello Folks,
>
>I'm getting a new Oracle database.
>I have about 20GB on data which I have to import in that database and
>monthly about 1GB data for input.
>
>What Hardware should I use?
>How big should the Hard disk be, and how strong the Processor?
>It is correct that as bigger the Hard disk is as faster is the Database?
>
>Thanks
>
>CU DALI

EMail: knijff_at_bigfoot.com Received on Mon Jan 08 2001 - 13:50:16 CST