Re: pl/sql

From: Walter T Rejuney <BlueSax_at_Unforgetable.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 08:30:45 -0500

Jim Kennedy wrote:

> You can't. It is meant to be a procedural language to manipulate Oracle
> result sets. It does not have a GUI component.
> Jim
>
> "Rob Zwartjes" <rzwartje_at_rob.home.nl> wrote in message
> > Hello Guru's,
> >
> > I have written a program in Perl for retrieving data from a oracle
 database.
> > But it has come to a point that it is very time consuming before I get
 some
> > answers. Especially when it comes to several hunderd items. I thought when
> > did this with pl/sql times might be shorter. So I got the pl/sql.pdf from
 the
> > internet and start reading. I was impressed by the possibility's wich were
> > available. The only thing I missed was something like getchar or
 getstring.
> > Via dbms_output.put_line I get things on screen. But how do I get
 something
> > from the keyboard.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your time,
> > Rob

Actually, you can get data from the keyboard but it is not the best way to go about things. I won't get into the actual details, but it involves using UTL_FILE to open /dev/fd/0 and then reading from that handle with UTL_FILE.GET_LINE. You also have to set utl_file_dir to give access to the /dev/fd directory. May not work on all versions of UNIX. Received on Mon Jan 08 2001 - 07:30:45 CST