Re: Oracle Java Interface on EPOC?

From: Carl Rosenberger <carl_at_db4o.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 12:03:47 +0100

Sander van der Wal wrote:
> > I am trying to evaluate speed and functionality of the Oracle Lite
> > Java interface on EPOC.
> >
> > From reading the documentation, I get the idea, that Java is not
> > supported on EPOC at all.
>
> Java *is* supported on EPOC R5 machines (Series5MX, Series 7, netBook
> etc). Depending on the machine the JVM might not be in ROM, but it can
> be installed.

Thanks, Sander.
I know that *Java* is supported, since I can run our engine. ;-)

My question (as above):
Does *Oracle Lite* for EPOC have a Java (JDBC and the like) interface?

An excerpt from the documentation:

To develop Oracle Lite for EPOC applications you need:

     Windows NT server or workstation
     EPOC C++ SDK
     Microsoft Visual C++ 5.0 (or higher)
<<

...nothing about Java...

On the other hand I find:

Oracle Lite for EPOC ODBC Support

Oracle Lite for EPOC supports the complete ODBC 2.0 API standard, with the exception of functions related to Java stored procedures. Using the ODBC API, applications can access data stored in Oracle Lite databases on handheld devices. See the ODBC documentation for more information on ODBC functions.
<<

That sounds like there could be something like a JDBC-ODBC bridge available for EPOC-devices.
I will continue reading.

From the feedback I get here, I assume nobody is using this functionality.

Regards,
Carl