Oracle 8i vs. SQL Server 2000?

From: Pacman <pacland_at_onebox.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 06:10:47 GMT

I am an IBM DB2 programmer and would like to move to a different type of database. Out of Oracle 8i 8.1.7 and SQL Server 2000, which one is preferable? What would be the plus points with each? I'm new to these and really have no clue of either of them.

Oracle people say SQL Server 2000 is a fancied up Access 2000, and SQL Server 2000 people say Oracle is an administration nightmare. I can't say either way as I don't know.

My uses would be for home use and also at work, at work, I'd use it for a documentation server. This documentation server would hold literally millions of records and the database would required to be backed up every week.

Cheers. Received on Sat Jan 06 2001 - 00:10:47 CST