Re: NASA switches from Oracle to MySQL

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 00:38:11 GMT

In our last gripping episode joeb_at_jagas.demon.co.uk wrote:
> mySQL powers a lot of sites with gigabytes of data for example:
>
> http://www.computerstaff.net the UK's second largest IT jobsite with
> several gigabytes of
> data of CV's and job listings is powered by mySQL. So is yahoo
 finance.
> Surely this database
> is robust and stable and capable. What are your arguments to that.
>
> JoeB wrote:
>
> > NASA switches from Oracle to MySQL.
> >
> > Software shift at NASA may herald similar switch by other government
> > agencies.
> > Are the days of number of ORACLE numbered?
> > Plus, Oracle extends $1 million challenge to BEA users, but not Open
> > Source Databases?
> > Why?
> >
> > Read full story on http://www.computercontractor.net

Provide a list of financial institutions, telecommunications providers or commercial aircraft maintenance facilities that utilize MySQL and we'll talk.

The companies listed, and the data stored, is not critical data. Provide solid examples of mission-critical applications and data and maybe your rantings and ravings won't fall upon deaf ears. Remember the tale of the boy who cried 'Wolf!'...

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com