Which datatype for Text Field 32k MAX

From: JF <john.fitzgerald_at_mainframe.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 15:42:07 -0800

Folks,

I'm new to Oracle (8.1.5) and have the following question with regards building a database design

I have a field that will contain Ascii text (Article) The max number of chars is 32k
The field must be searchable (where article like etc.)

The calling application will be ASP(VB) / PHP4 based web pages

Previously I've used a MEMO field in MS Access and a TEXT field in SQL Server to acheive the above, however there does not seem to be a direct equivalent in Oracle please HELP!!!!!!!!!

I can't use LONG cause you can search a LONG field, I've been messing about with CLOB but it seems just to hold somesort of reference which means I can't even select a record that has a CLOB field using just SQL nor for that matter use it in a where clause.

Any suggestions would be greatly appriecated !

Cheers
John Received on Thu Jan 04 2001 - 17:42:07 CST