Re: Multiple Client Installations

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 14:34:44 GMT

In article <978441212.14502.0.nnrp-04.d4f0e7d6_at_news.demon.co.uk>,   "Neil Jellis" <neil.jellis_at_synapse-partnership.com> wrote:
> I need to test an Access application that uses an Oracle backend.
>
> Currently I have a 8.0.5 setup for Client & Server. I have to test an
 8.1.6
> setup.
> I have installed 8.1.6 on the server without any problems.
>
> My first question is:
> Is is feasible to install multiple oracle clients on the same machine
> without suffering any connection problems? All access to the server is via
> ODBC and I will use a separate version of the Access application in order
> that I can have distinct ODBC system DSN's.
>
> My second question is:
> How is the Oracle ODBC driver represented in the list box of the Drivers
> page of the ODBC Data Source Administrator? Does the 8.1.6 version have a
> different name?
>
> Neil Jellis

Multiple clients shouldn't be a problem as long as you install them in a different Oracle_home. You'll probably want to maintain one tnsnames.ora and set the TNS_ADMIN variable in hklm\software\oracle accordignly. Without any doubt the 8.1.6 ODBC driver is going to have a different version number, so no problems there either.

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply