Re: Becoming an Oracle DBA?

From: <steveee_ca_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 13:27:23 GMT

In article <92midd$kjr8$1_at_newssvr06-en0.news.prodigy.com>,   "Karen A McGaskey" <KANDREAM_at_prodigy.net> wrote:
> I live in Houston,TX. They have an Oracle User Group here. And thanks
 for
> the help.

Good news Karen,

I live in Ottawa Canada and I've been offered two positions in Houston within the last year..they're definitely looking for people.

And, the 'having no life' business is not true..there are exceptions but it's not the rule :)
Best luck,

Steve

> "G. Wayne Kidd" <gwk_at_audiobookcentral.com> wrote in message
> > I believe that anyone who can prove that they know the work and the
 tools
 can
> > find more than entry level work. You will be asked in interviews
 very
 specific
> > questions designed to determine whether you know your stuff. If you
 do,
 you
> > will find work. Don't lie. It is not necesary and you will
 eventually be
> > caught. Depending on where you live, there may be users' groups for
 Oracle
> > (particularly in the SF Bay area, New York, Boston, Washington
 D.C.).
 Good
> > luck.
> >
> > Wayne
> >
> > Karen A McGaskey wrote:
> >
> > > I am thinking about becoming an Oracle DBA. I don't have a job or
 any
> > > experience in the IT field. I am currently taking Access courses,
 then I
> > > will take SQL courses, after that I plan to take the Oracle 8i
 training
> > > offered by DB Domain (which offers hands-on exercises practice w/
 the
 Oracle
> > > Server). My 1st question is w/o a college degree if I pass all the
 exams
 and
> > > become a certified Oracle DBA would I be able to obtain an
 entry-level
> > > position? If not please let me know if I should not consider this
 profession
> > > w/o any experience? I don't want to waste my time and money if
 that is
 in
> > > fact what it would be. I would also like to know if I do pursue
 this,
 should
> > > I take my exams after completing the training and exercises for
 that
 exam or
> > > should I take all the exams at once? Another thing I'd like to
 know is
 if
> > > and where could I find an Oracle DBA mentor? I also heard that if
 one
 wants
> > > a life they shouldn't consider this as a career choice. But I also
 know
 that
> > > if you want the money that DBAs are paid you have to make
 sacrifices
> > > somewhere and that is one of them i think. Well, if anyone could
 please
 be
> > > of any assistance I would greatly appreciate it.
> > > Thanks,
> > > Karen

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Sun Dec 31 2000 - 07:27:23 CST