Oracle 8i installation problem

From: Trader Jack <mjaydms_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 05:18:59 GMT

I installed Oracle 8i Personal on my Windows 98 machine. It is a PII 350 with 192 MB of RAM.

Oracle 8i was provided to me on a CD as a zip file which I unzipped into C:\My Documents\Oracle. I ran the setup (typical) and it installed fine except one of the optional tools (Oracle Database Configuration Assistant) failed. The dbSilentCreate.log file that I was directed to view contained the following line:

Documents\oracle\starterdb is an invalid command line argument.

What caused the ODCA to fail during installation?

What are the ramifications of the ODCA failing?

Is the ODCA necessary to create a database? (I assume not since it is called an optional tool)

I am a total beginner to Oracle. I plan on getting a book to learn it but in the meanwhile any help from this newsgroup would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack Received on Thu Nov 30 2000 - 23:18:59 CST