Re: Question on automated reporting

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 13:46:52 GMT

Derek,

  1. You can still use your Perl scripts with DBI to connect to an Oracle database (through cron).
  2. You can write standard shell scripts to do the same thing (through cron).
  3. You can use DBMS_JOBS to automate jobs (much like cron).

There is no one "right" way and no "wrong" way if you choose any of these options. They are just a little different. It all depends on what you are used to. Since you are already using Perl, why not use the same scripts?

HTH,
Brian

Derek Milhous Zumsteg wrote:

> Apologies in advance if this a glaringly obvious question, but I've
> been unable to find quite the pointers I need and was hoping someone
> could point me in the right direction.
>
> I'm looking to have Oracle 8i regularly run certain queries and save
> them to flat files. Now, my experience in this is with another
> database, where we wrote Perl scripts (that went 'log in, run query,
> stash output, save, log out') and stuck them in the cron. Nothing
> complicated.
>
> Now I'm preparing to do the same thing with an existing Oracle
> database (on an HP-UX box), but I'd also like to do this the right way
> -- if Oracle has this sort of thing built in, I'd like to use that,
> and if there's a better way of doing it, I'd like to find that out,
> too.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction for making this transition?
> Is there documentation I just haven't stumbled across yet, or a book
> that would be particularly helpful?
>
> Any help or pointers are greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Derek Zumsteg
> robomilhous_at_hotmail.com

Brian Peasland