Re: special; characters

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 15:00:28 GMT

In article <3A4B47F0.CA22249E_at_wxs.nl>,
  Raymond van Daelen <daelen_at_wxs.nl> wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I have a simple question:
> How to use special characters as ü, â, é, etcetera, in data to be
> stored in an Oracle database.
>
> Can anyone elucidate this for me, or point me to the proper Oracle
> documentation, in which until now I have not been able to find a
> solution!
>
> Raymond

You are discussing National Language Support acronym NLS. The Oracle Server administrators guide has a separate appendix (F, IIRC) discussing all aspects of NLS.
The most common causes for problems are
- not creating the database in a proper characterset (in Europe WE8ISO8859P1, which *is* the Oracle for NT default). You can verify this by select * from nls_database_parameters - not setting NLS_LANG in hklm\software\oracle in the registry.

Should you require further assistance, which I am happy to provide, respond to me in private (mailto:oradba_at_sybrandb.demon.nl), and of course, in that case English is no longer necessary.

Regards,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply