ORA-12560: TNS: Protocol Adapter Error

From: <user_20017506_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 01:33:09 GMT

After spending several days on this I have come to this, a last cry for help...

I am running Window2000 Professional with Oracle 8i Personal Edition. All was going well in my efforts to do some testing on running a script to build a database; when all of a sudden I began to get this ORA-12560 error message when I (either manually or my script) tried to use SQL*Plus or Server Manager.

I thought it may have been some of the tinkering around I had done, so I went as far as
uninstalling Oracle, restarting the machine and then reinstalling it again; but immediately received the same error when trying to open svrmgrl or sqlplus in command line mode. I have checked all of the related files, listener.ora, tnsnames.ora, etc.; and all appear in order or at their default values.

I've noticed that on several news groups and Oracle sites many people seem to be having this same problem - but I never see any answers to these posts on the issue....

Any ideas? Or can anyone point to a good site which will explain how to read the trace files generated by the TNSListener?

--
Art Vandelay

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/