Re: Oracle point-in-time recovery

From: Ted Knijff <knijff_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 08:01:39 GMT

AFAIK 8i standard can recover much the same as EE, it has the same redo and archive log files and the "recover database until" works the same.

We tried it, it works. The point-in-time recovery in EE you would never use unless you want to recover to a "weeks ago" state.

Ted

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000 23:21:50 GMT, bsidba_at_my-deja.com wrote:

>We are currently running Oracle8i Enterprise Edition. I need to setup
>an additional server and I was thinking about going with Oracle8i
>Server because it is MUCH cheaper than the Enterprise Edition.
>However, I was a little spooked when I read that Oracle8i Server does
>not support point-in-time tablespace recovery. Does this mean that
>there is absolutely no way to do a point-in-time recovery on 8i
>Server? Doesn’t 8i Server have redo log files and archive redo log
>files just like EE? Does 8i Server support the RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL
>TIME command to allow you to do a time-based incomplete recovery? I
>will be storing important data on this server and proper
>backup/recovery is very important. Any information you could
>provide on this matter or other pros/cons on EE vs Server would be
>greatly appreciated.
>
>Thank you
>

>Sent via Deja.com
>http://www.deja.com/

EMail: knijff_at_bigfoot.com Received on Thu Dec 28 2000 - 02:01:39 CST