Re: SORT_AREA_SIZE value

From: <steveee_ca_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 13:47:29 GMT

Hi,
This is a very general question..without knowing what you're doing in terms of sort activity.
In an OLTP environmentthat's not sort intensive the default may be OK

You can try this; if the ratio of disk sorts to memory sorts is >5% then increase SORT_AREA_SIZE.

SQL> select disk.value "Disk", mem.value "Mem",   2 (disk.value/mem.value)*100 "Ratio"
  3 from v$sysstat mem,v$sysstat disk
  4 where mem.name = 'sorts (memory)'
  5 and disk.name = 'sorts (disk)';

     Disk Mem Ratio
--------- --------- ---------

        0 85 0

SQL> Hope this helps,

Steve

In article <9286mm$13l$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   shdu_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> How can I determine what is a good value for SORT_AREA_SIZE
> initialization parameter.
>
> Thanks.
>
> SF
>
> Sent via Deja.com