Re: Secure connections to Oracle without port 1521

From: Sean <dolans_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 17:51:00 GMT

Since your question is very broad in scope, I will assume you are talking about accessing your Oracle box behind a secure system (like a firewall) from a remote location. The machine has to listen on a port (1521 or whatever), otherwise the software just won't work so let's not talk about turning all the ports off. But to protect it from hackers, the options are many; a few could include Firewall software or router hardware that limits TCP traffic to a port from a certain block of IP addresses. A VPN (Virtual Private Network) could allow you to "tunnel" in from any remote location "behind" your firewall and be as if you were right there on its subnet. Windows NT allows you to packet filter from certain IP addresses (assuming you know what your IP address is). This question goes far beyond the scope of Oracle and starts to touch the basics of securing a network. I recommend researching "how to secure a network" to answer this question.

Best of luck.

In article
<E2A221FA5568BA0B.0578A084E6F6E496.7715391640D5395A_at_lp.airnews.net>,   allenh_at_starbase.neosoft.com (Allen) wrote:

> (Sorry if this has been posted twice.)
>
> I need to make a secure connection to oracle that doesn't leave open
> ports like 1521 open, but will still let me use my GUI tools like
 TOAD.
> Any pointers on how to do this are much appreciated.
>
> thx.. Allen

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Tue Dec 26 2000 - 11:51:00 CST