Re: Character Set Confusion

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 13:56:28 GMT

In article <3A42074B.A05DF1CE_at_era.ericsson.se>,   Feldman Roger <qrarofe_at_era.ericsson.se> wrote:
> Oracle People:
>
> I'm writing from Sweden where we have to think about character sets
> often. I'm using a product(RATIONAL) that recommends:
>
> WE8ISO8859P1
>
> When I query the server as to it's Character Set:
>
> SQL> SELECT Name,Value$ FROM sys.props$ WHERE Name='NLS_CHARACTERSET';
>
> NLS_CHARACTERSET
> WE8ISO8859P1
>
> I recieve confirmation that the database is indeed WE8ISO8859P1.
>
> Why then does export, export in USA7ASCII :
> log:
> PL/SQL Release 2.3.4.0.0 - Production
> Export done in US7ASCII character set
>
> The export documention promises that export exports in the character
 set
> of the export database.
>
> THANX,
> roger_feldman_at_hotmail.com

No, export can perform characterset conversion. You need to set NLS_LANG (to American_America.WE8ISO8859P1) as environment var (Unix) or in the registry in HKLM\software\oracle) or export in direct mode, to make sure you don't have conversion. If you don't set these variables, and/or perform a normal export, the database will be exported in US7ASCII.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply