Multiple OS' in a Disk

From: Dino Hsu <dino1_at_ms1.hinet.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 01:22:35 +0800

Dear all,

In order to study Oracle 8i's, I plan to buy a new desktop computer at home as the server with Intel Pentium III 800MHZ CPU, 256M DRAM, and 20G HDD X 1 with my limited buget.

Because 20G HDD is cheap, I would like to create four 5G partitions, three of which will be primary partitions, on which Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Linux Red Hat can be installed respectively; the rest one can be decided later. To do this, I need a multi-boot program to have all of the three OS' residing on the same disk. Does anyone have good idea about it? Someone told me to buy a replaceable disk box so that I can have one OS per disk, but the current disk space is so big, one OS per disk will result in waste of much disk space.

The 256M DRAM is for Oracle 8i for Windows NT, I heard that the Java-written universal installer requires 256M DRAM and 1G of disk space. Do you think 256M is appropriate?

As for Oracle CD, my company owns licenses of Oracle 8i for R6 as well as for Windows NT (probably for Windows 2000, too), but none for Linux. Oracle here (Taiwan) provides only Oracle 8i Workgroup Server for Linux test version for free, I wonder if there is any cheap way of getting Enterprise Server for Linux test version?

Any comments are highly appreciated.

Regards,
Dino Received on Thu Dec 21 2000 - 11:22:35 CST