Re: problem with CREATE DATABASE LINK

From: <tshbedford_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:46:50 GMT

In article <91q51k$og6$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Lev Smirnov <leo_at_dionis.sura.com.ru> wrote:
> In article <91q3co$n9r$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> tshbedford_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I must be doing something stupid. I can access a table on another PC
> > from SQL*Plus by typing 'connect scott/tiger @OtherPC'. Then 'SELECT
 *
> > FROM tablename' shows the expected results.
> > I want to do a search of a table on my PC with data taken from the
 table
> > on the other PC but I can't get a link to work. I can only ever
> > seem to be connected to one database or the other. Typing CREATE
> > DATABASE LINK linkname USING 'connect scott/tiger @OtherPC' says the
> > link is created but doing a 'SELECT * FROM tablename_at_linkname' it
 says
> > ORA-12154 :TNS:could not resolve service name.
> >
> > I'm an Oracle newbie, could someone tell me exactly what's wrong. Is
> > anything to do with both Oracle copies being Personal Edition?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > Tim
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/
> >
> Try this:
> CREATE DATABASE LINK linkname CONNECT TO scott IDENTIFIED BY tiger
> USING OtherPC.
>
> If the GLOBAL_NAMES parameter is set to TRUE, linkname should matches
> the global name of your remote database.
>
> Lev Smirnov
> Brainbench MVP for Oracle Admin
> http://www.brainbench.com
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

How do I find out what GLOBAL_NAMES is set to? And how do I change it? Both databases have the default ORCL name. Surely that can't be the problem.
I tried the '.....USING otherPC' command but get back 'Not connected'.

Tim

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Wed Dec 20 2000 - 05:46:50 CST