problem with CREATE DATABASE LINK

From: <tshbedford_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:58:34 GMT

Hi,
I must be doing something stupid. I can access a table on another PC from SQL*Plus by typing 'connect scott/tiger @OtherPC'. Then 'SELECT * FROM tablename' shows the expected results. I want to do a search of a table on my PC with data taken from the table on the other PC but I can't get a link to work. I can only ever seem to be connected to one database or the other. Typing CREATE DATABASE LINK linkname USING 'connect scott/tiger @OtherPC' says the link is created but doing a 'SELECT * FROM tablename_at_linkname' it says ORA-12154 :TNS:could not resolve service name.

I'm an Oracle newbie, could someone tell me exactly what's wrong. Is anything to do with both Oracle copies being Personal Edition?

thanks,

Tim

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Wed Dec 20 2000 - 04:58:34 CST