Oracle 8i, Java threads, and 3000 defunct processes

From: <sendtoscott_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:41:09 GMT

In Java JDK 1.3 on Solaris, "Runtime.getRuntime().exec(string, null)" with a string pointing to an executable that connects to a remote Oracle 8i DB works if we exec() in a class main(), but not if I do the exact same exec() in a java thread class run(). In the second case, the executable attempts to connect to a local database instead of the remote one and we wind up with thousands of defunct processes.

The exact same Java code works on NT (with a different executable for the string in getRuntime().exec(), obviously). This Java and executable combination also worked previously on Solaris using Oracle 7. The java code has its own connection to the remote database that works on both Solaris and NT.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Wed Dec 20 2000 - 15:41:09 CST