Re: Design of a CV database

From: <mike_st0ne_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:52:05 GMT

In article <91q24l$dhi$1_at_soap.pipex.net>,   "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Intermedia is IMO a better option for you than IFS.
>
> Intermedia is the text search engine that comes with 8i. For your
 purposes
> it will allow you to store the CV's on your file system and do free
 text
> searches against them. You just store the URL for the file in the db.
 You
> can also store in a blob if you so desire. We have used both of thse
> techniques successfully.
>
> I cannot for the life of me see why anyone would use IFS as opposed to
> existing tried and tested file systems. Seems like a badly conceived
 product
> to me, presumably aimed at kicking Bill G in the face by restricting
 sales
> of NT.
>
> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK

Niall,

      I read a story (apocryphal?) that IFS had its origins in Bill Gates giving an interview, wherein he stated his opinion that a database should be an intrinsic part of the operating system. No prizes for guessing which DB and which OS he had in mind.

      Anyway, needless to say, this was a red rag to a bull so far as Larry was concerned. Which is why you now have a product which attempts to stand Bill's logic on its head. Whether anyone actually wants to use it is, I suspect, immaterial to Larry.

      Is there anyone out there actually using iFS?

Mike Stone

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Wed Dec 20 2000 - 09:52:05 CST