Re: Design of a CV database

From: Steve Blomeley <steveblomeleyATyahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 23:30:48 -0000

> PS Somebody has just mentioned Intermedia and IFS to me. But I don't know
> what these are yet. Time to do a bit more reading.

IFS is Oracle's Internet File System - It's bundled with Oracle 8i R3 (8.1.7) I think ... but it's not available for all platforms yet .. I think.

Anyway, IFS is a java app bolted on to 8i that allows you to "drop" documents into your database via a front-end that maps the database contents to a virtual file system. IFS parses the document as it is loaded into the database and indexes all the keywords ... so once a document is loaded you can immediately search on document content. And the parser can handle a whole raft of different file types, so CVs in Word format should be no problem. No messing about with LOBS, BLOBS, BFILES etc - It could save you a lot of work .

hth

Regards
Steve Blomeley Received on Tue Dec 19 2000 - 17:30:48 CST