Re: How do I create a training instance

From: Shawn Ellinger <sellinge_at_csac.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 02:36:50 GMT

I am going to assume here that your company didnt write the Forms Application but you have all the forms.

Now assuming this, forms still connects to oracle using SQL*Net. You will need to copy all the form to another machine. You have stated that you can create a seperate instance. Now on the machine where the copy is, go to the tnsnames.ora file and change the actual database name to your trainging instance name. Leave the original alias name the way it is.

i.e... tnsnames.ora file

orig_app.world = #alias name
 (.....
   (HOST=unixdev)... # Server name
   (SID_DESC=DEV) # actual sid name
 )

change to...

orig_app.world = #alias name
 (.....
   (HOST=unixdev)... # Server name
   (SID_DESC=TRAIN) # actual sid name  )

All you are doing is pointing the alias name to go somewhere else. Simple as that.

Shawn