Re: UTL_FILE_DIR = * question

From: Walter T Rejuney <BlueSax_at_Unforgetable.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:08:03 -0500

cwang9_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> All:
>
> I got "Invalid Path ..." error when I tried to READ a
> Unix text file. I am running Oracle8i on my home PC.
>
> Then I updated the init.ora file and added this line:
>
> UTL_FILE_DIR = *
>
> This should add all directories to its access list. However
> I got the exact same "Invalid Path ..." error,,,

Are you sure that Oracle has read permissions fir the target file. It doesn't matter in the slightest bit whether the account you are logged into UNIX with has read permissions on the file - it only matters that Oracle has write permissions because it is the Oracle account that is reading the file, not your login session. Typically this would probably mean that you need 444 permissions on the file itself since the "world" privilege is the most important one in this case. Received on Mon Dec 18 2000 - 08:08:03 CST