Re: Can't connect to Oracle using MSDAORA OLE DB provider

From: Walter T Rejuney <BlueSax_at_Unforgetable.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 13:52:13 -0500

Syarzhuk wrote:

> We had a hard drive failure on one of the development machines and had
> to reinstall everything from scratch. Now it cannot connect to Oracle.
>
> We are using ADO and would like to use MSDAORA provider (we had problems
> with Oracle provider in the past)
>
> We can connect using plain SQL*Net - sqlplus works just fine
> We can connect using Oracle provider
> We cannot connect using ODBC (but we don't care)
> We cannot connect using MSDAORA provider
> The error message is: "Test Connection failed because of an error in
> initializing provider."
> There is no other specifics given.
>
> The version of ADO is 2.5 (have no idea how to uninstall it but
> installed 2.1. over it and it still didn't work)
>
> It's obviously something with MSDAORA provider setup but what is it?

You said that you had to reinstall everything from scratch. Does that mean you also reinstalled the mdac? If not, give that a try because that is where the MSDAORA provider is installed. As far as I have ever heard, it is not possible to back out of an MDAC upgrade to go to a previous version since the installer will simply report success even though it doesn't do any work because it will not overwrite older files. The only way you could perhaps do this is to deliberately delete the associated dll files, but that is probably pretty risky. Is there some reason that you need the older version of the mdac? The current version is 2.6 and unless you have a rigid requirement for an older version it would probably be a good idea to get on the latest release.

The fact that the odbc isn't working may indicate some other type of problem however. Have you done any experiments to get that working again? My suspicion is that if you can get odbc working then the ole-db will also work.

You might also try writing a small test program with oo4o - although I suspect that would work if you are able to get a successful connection test via Net8/Sqlnet. Received on Fri Dec 15 2000 - 12:52:13 CST