Re: UTL_FILE on client

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 08:21:34 GMT

In article <91bkd3$kle$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Bill <wsprouse_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I am trying to use the UTL_FILE package to write output to a file on a
> client computer. The client is NT 4.0, Oracle is on a Unix box and I
 am
> running the code in SQL*Plus on the client. The documentation seems
> suggest I can use this package to write to files on the client - is
 this
> true?
>
> When I run the code the INVALID PATH exception is raised when I use
 the
> UTL_FILE.FOPEN. I am trying to direct the output to a directory and
> file on the NT client.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Bill
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Contrary to what the other reply seems to suggest, utl_file can create files on the server *only*. This is not necessarily a problem, as you can map a network drive from your PC to that directory. And of course, this mapping can be set in a central login procedure.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply