Re: UTL_FILE on client

From: Alika <lfam42_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 06:06:04 GMT

Bill,

You can only right to the server box with the UTL_FILE package. The UTL_FILE package exists as a stored package in the database. You can execute the UTL_FILE package from the client box but UTL_FILE executes on the server box, and can only write to the server box. One more thing, you have to have add a entry to your INIT.ORA file specific for your instance. If I remember correctly it is:

UTL_FILE_DIR = c:\MyDirectory

You can specify any directory but UTL_FILE can only write to those directories unless you put a astrerik (*) like so:

UTL_FILE_DIR = * This will allow UTL_FILE to write anywhere on the server box. However they don't recommend this because you could potential write over system or database specific files.

The call to open it should look like:

DECLARE
  file_h UTL_FILE.FILE_TYPE;

BEGIN
  file_h := UTL_FILE.FOPEN('c:\MyDirectory','output.txt','a');   UTL_FILE.PUTF(file_h,'WRITE SOME STUFF\n');   UTL_FILE.FCLOSE(file_h);

END; Hope this was helpful and not redundant,

Alika