Compiler Questions

From: Mark Riehl <mriehl_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:25:48 GMT

All,

A bit new to Oracle, sorry if these are very easy questions. I'm installing Oracle 8i onto a Solaris x86 8.0 box.

I see references in the docs to Pro *C/C++ compilers. It says that these products require a separate license as part of Oracle Programmer.

Question - can I use another compiler, namely a GNU compiler? I've done database work before with embedded SQL using MySQL and mSQL, and we were able to just link in the appropriate library into a C++ application, this provided us w/access to the database.

Bottom line - do I need the Oracle Pro *C/C++ compiler in order to talk to an Oracle database or can I use the GNU compiler. Is the Oracle compiler freely available or does it need to be purchased?

Thanks for the help,
Mark Received on Thu Dec 14 2000 - 16:25:48 CST