Re: Please Help: table locking

From: Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rosetta.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 01:04:55 GMT

In article <913s5g$9dm$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   susana73_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> I have an app that open 2 database connections concurrently. It hangs
> couple times a week due to table lock. The following is a report
 shows
> what happen:
>
> USERNAME SID SERIAL# TY HELD REQUEST
> SQL
> PROD_USER 13 124 TX Exclusive None
> UPDATE object set flag = 1 WHERE plan = 'A' AND Id = 3466629
>
> PROD_USER 29 9034 TX None Share
> UPDATE object set flag = 1 WHERE plan = 'B' AND Id = 3466631;
>
> The two sessions(SID 13,29) are updating different rows so I have no
> idea how this can generate locks. Session 13 is held as EXCLUSIVE and
> Session 29 are requesting as SHARE. What does that mean and would
 this
> be a hint to solve this problem?
>
> I do not specify any locking feature explicitly in my application at
> all.
>
> Please Help!! Thanks.
>
> Susan
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Needs more information. It is unlikely that based on the above statements and no other users on-line that the database will hang. How big are the tables (rows/extents/tablespace)? Are there any indexes? Are there any ohter users on line? If you openned two connectinos and executed the above statements with no there users, the system hangs? Or does it just take alot of time?

--
Michael Krolewski
Rosetta Inpharmatics