Re: RAID 5 or 5 hard disks?

From: Barbara Kennedy <barbken_at_teleport.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 07:15:29 -0800

My experience has been that Raid 5 gives you a large performance hit. It may be true that if you have enough disks for raid 5 then it is okay. But people who tend to use raid 5 (not all) are looking at the bottom line in terms of raw cost and not in terms of the cost of poor performance. Thus they tend to buy the minimum (e.g. 3 disks) and not more (like 10). Jim