Re: Export/Import Question (from 8.0.5 to 7.3.4)

From: <faheemrao_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 08:30:32 GMT

your problem seems to be the version incompatibility;

Export file created from a newer release will nerver can be import from an import utility of an older release. Now the strange thing is that you are unable to import the data through the import utility of the same release.

First of all try to import the data from the import utility of the excaly same release from whihc you have created the dmp file .

and try to grant the dba priviliges to the targer user.

if it does not work here is an other way.

Now One possible solution can be that if your database not have the triggers and Stored procedures then you can you use ODBC data source , I mean that you first you import the data in Microsoft Access. Microsoft Access provide facility to import data from ODBC data source.

Then you can use the Oracle Access migration Utility, to import the data form the Access,
The main thing is that during migration from access is that almost you donot need to change the datatypes because , the access migration utility is smart enough to convert the datatype excatly what you want, Migration utility can also provide the facility to change the datatype lenght if you want.

Now the question is about the clob datatype , when you import the data in access clob is converted into memo datatype , but do not need to be worry Oracle Migration utility change back that memo filed to clob.

This procees seem to be very long but whan you actually run through it , it does not so complex and should not take much time

Now if your database have the triggers and stroed procedures then you can use the Erwin tool to transfer the schema ,and the for the transfer of data you can use ther same ODBC technique.

Try this and let me know if it works or not.

Faheem Rao

In article <B4AX5.94445$Ae1.1308240_at_zwoll1.home.nl>,   "cheers" <cheers_at_home.nl> wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> Background:
> I have an Oracle 8.0.5 database running on a Linux machine. This
 operating
> system will not be supported in the future because I quit my job.
 This is
> the reason to place the data that is currently in this database on a
> platform that will be supported by our IT-department (Windows NT). I
 have a
> Windows NT server running Oracle 7.3.4 (upgrade to higher Oracle
 version not
> an issue yet).
>
> Actions taken:
> I created a database with the correct table spaces on the NT system
 and
> created a user ARADMIN with the correct privileges on the new
 database. I
> then performed an export of the user ARADMIN on the Linux system
 (version
> 8.0.5).
>
> Result:
> When I tried to import the data using the import utility on the NT
 system
> (version 7.3.4), it found the export file of invalid format. Next I
 tried to
> use the import tool on the Linux system to import data in the
 database on
> the NT server. It then complained that it couldn't find the necessary
> objects in the catalog to perform this operation. As a last resort I
 tried
> to create a userdump of the ARADMIN user on the database running on
 the
> Linux machine using the export utility on the NT system. This didn't
 work
> either.
>
> Question:
> How do I put the data from the Oracle 8.0.5 database in the Oracle
 7.3.4
> database? The table definitions are compatible (no nested tables, not
 more
> then one clob column in a table).
>
> Cheers

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Dec 07 2000 - 02:30:32 CST