Re: open cursor limit?

From: Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rosetta.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 20:41:28 GMT

In article <90ja1u$dvc$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   susana73_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have open_cursor=250 and keeping getting the maximum cursor error
> message. I am wondering can I increase it as large as I want? What
> kind of resource will it take on the server if I increase it? Does it
> take up any resource even my apps is not running?
>
> Thanks,
> Susan
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I was looking up this error in the 'Oracle PL/SQL Programming' by S.Feuerstein (O'Reilly) and came across this statement:

   "an initialization parameter called OPEN_CURSORS specifies the maximum number of open cursors tha a SINGLE-USER PROCESS can have at once. This parameter does not control a system-wide feature, but rath the maximum address/memory user by each process." (Bold mine)

I would suggest that 250 is really huge for a single process. In fact, most system I have worked on the number is 50 or less. I cannot recall ever intentionally having more than 5 cursors open at the same time.

--
Michael Krolewski
Rosetta Inpharmatics