Re: exp result in process death

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 21:12:04 +0100

Further comments embedded.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

<chiappa_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:908n2p$gdr$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> Thanks for your answers, I will to follow some coments to each one :
>
> > Add
> > export ORACLE_SID=prod
> > leave out @prod in the export command
> > and you will bypass sqlnet completely.
>
> This is a novelty to me : if I donĀ“t supply the connect string, oracle
> will bypass the sqlnet access ? How it resolves the connect string in
> this way ? Is this documented in the net-related Oracle manuals ?

Of course this works on the database server itself *only*. As you are on the database server you can use two task or interprocess communication protocols. They are used when automatically when you setORACLE_SID. To make it more difficult: obviously, this is a dedicated connection. You will find a separate background process when you use ps -ef and the commandline will show 'LOCAL=YES' (when you see LOCAL=NO you know it's a remote tcp/ip connection).
The connect string is not resolved, because AFAIK sqlnet is not called upon at all. I will perform a little test soon to verify this.

> > Also I do think you should export using a dedicated connection.
>
> Well, when the exp runs, system is the only user in the db - so , I was
> thinking that in this situation Oracle will surely use a dedicated
> connection - I was wrong in suppose this ?

Yes, you are wrong. Once you configure MTS all your connections use MTS unless you set ORACLE_SID (see above) or explicitly specify a dedicated connection.