Re: Personal Oracle8i installation

From: <jwaterh_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 09:41:07 GMT

I have just found this article, however I have not tried it yet:

Oracle 8.1.5 Personal Edition
Oracle does not support installing version 8.1.5 PE into
Windows Millennium.
As an unsupported workaround, you may add the following line
to the [compatibility95] section of win.ini prior to
installation:

Jrew=0x00080000

After setup is complete, Oracle will recommend a reboot.
There is one additional step necessary prior to reboot;
Oracle may add a non-standard path statement to the
autoexec.bat file. Please modify this SET PATH statement to use short-filenames if you find a quoted
LFN string represented as part of the path. You can
confirm that the path was merged successfully into the
registry after reboot by examining the PATH variable
in the registry at
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManag er\Environment

Symptoms of a missing Oracle path statement in the registry are that Net8 Easy Config will not launch.

Please note that Oracle does not support the use of this
product in Windows ME, but have authorized these workarounds
for testing purposes only.

In article <MdCtACAEEvJ6EwoX_at_waterh.demon.co.uk>,   Sean Osguthorpe <sean_at_waterh.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> To date I have tried the installation from
 numerous locations, including
> copying the files to CD and trying from there.
 Unfortunately all with
> the same result, I am surprised that there are
 not more threads relating
> to this issue, if it is one!
>
> In article

<906mas$97j$1_at_plutonium.btinternet.com>, Tom McInally
> <tom.mcinally_at_btinternet.com> writes
> >I have Personal Oracle 8i on CD from the
 technology network. Same problem
> >'though. I've tried all routes from the CD. If
 you get a workaround for this
 wrote in message
> >> Please excuse my ignorance, I have recently
 downloaded Personal Oracle8i
> >> Release 2 Version 8.1.6 for Windows 98 and
 am experiencing difficulties
> >> with installing it.
> >>
> >> When I run the setup program, after un-
 zipping the file, I get to the
> >> dialog box within the universal installer
 that prompts me to select the
> >> source and destination directories. The
 source is obviously pointing
> >> toward the location on my machine where
 products.jar resides, and the
> >> destination is a location I have specified
 as home. However, I get the
> >> following message:
> >>
> >> 'There was a problem in accessing the
 staging area. Please make sure the
> >> specified values for 'source'

 and 'destination' are valid'.

> >> I am running windows ME, but I can not see
 that as a problem.

> >> If I correctly point the source to

 products.jar, and have likewise
> >> created a directory as oracle home, and
 pointed the destination there,
> >> then I can not understand the error message.
> >>
> >> Any guidance would be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> --
> >> Sean Osguthorpe
> >

> --
> Sean Osguthorpe

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Dec 01 2000 - 03:41:07 CST