HOW TO: ADO 2.5 Oracle Stored Proc into Recordset

From: Hope Reyes <hopealso_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 17:51:46 GMT

Hi and thanks in advance...

Can somone give me syntax, and/or advice, and or references, that will allow me to run an Oracle stored procedure from VB ADO 2.5 that will provide input (criteria parameters) and return a resultant recordset on a DQL select statement inside the stored proc? Can one use a simple command object and parameters collection or not? I have a book (Visual Basic Oracle 8, wrox) that says in older ADO this would not work and one needed a pass-through. But we are trying to use OLE DB instead of ODBC.

I am interested in using Oracle stored procedures so that I may "reuse" query syntax and simply provide parameters to what would ordinarily be a simple SQL SELECT statement that executes joins and includes WHERE criteria. I am trying to get away from the method of writing all SQL for Access 2000 forms, etc. in long VB strings. These are not process oriented or business rules stored proc's, but simply a way of mimicking what is possible with straightforward Access "parameter queries".

If you have tips on using such a stored proc as the record source for an Access form, report, or combo/list box please include that too! I don't know if the best method will be trying to set the form's recordset property, etc... still investigating.

Thanks again,

Hope Reyes Received on Thu Nov 30 2000 - 11:51:46 CST