Re: Privileges with grant authority

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:58:05 GMT

Chris,

When you revoke object privileges, it cascades. So in your case, If User A revokes the priv from User B, then User C will lose that priv too.

But this is not the case with system privileges. If User A grants a system priv to User B with the ADMIN option, and User B grants that priv to User C and then User A revokes it from User B, then User C keeps the system priv.

HTH,
Brian

Chris Boyle wrote:

> Okay folks I have seen this described 2 ways in various manuals so I decided
> to ask people that had experience. If USER A grants USER B a privilege
> with grant authority and USER B grants the privilege to USER C what happens
> to USER C if USER A revokes that privilege from USER B? Some of the books
> say that it will also be revoked from USER C and others state that USER C
> will retain the privilege. Which is correct? Has this changed with
> different versions of the DBMS (which would explain the inconsistency across
> books)?
>
> 8i on True 64/NT but I don't have the privileges to test this out here or I
> wouldn't bother you.

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at
  USGS EROS Data Center