Re: full database import

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:42:27 GMT

In article <vg%U5.353840$4d.43902328_at_news02.optonline.net>,   "W. Cao" <pdxbq_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Could someone tell me how to use export/import to clone a database? I
 know
> how to export a full datbase but don't know how to do a full database
> import. Do I need to create a new database first? What is the general
 steps?

> Thanks.
>
> Wayne

Is the copy database on the same machine as the original? If not and the file systems look the same on the machine you can create the new instance with only a system tablespace and allow the full import to allocate all the tablespaces.

However, it is generally better to create all the tablespaces manually and to place the datafiles where they best belong. If the old instance and new instance are on the same machine you should consider this is a requirement as you do not want the import to attempt to reuse existing datasets that belong to another instance. In the version 6 days failure to create all the tablespace in advance or to provide the destroy=n parameter to the imp utility would destroy the original database. Somewhere in version 7 Oracle changed the default setting of destroy to N from Y so you no longer have to worry about this. But I would always play it safe because defaults are subject to change with each release.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.