Re: UTL_FILE problem

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:28:04 GMT

In article <3a230697_at_ecn.ab.ca>,
  suisum_at_ecn.ab.ca () wrote:
> The UTL_FILE can only write a flat file in the database server.
 However
> this is not suitable for 3 tier architecture if the database server
 is
> UNIX and the middle tier is NT.
>
> Have anyone try to use UTL_FILE to write a flat file to other
 platform? Or
> which tools I can use to produce a flat file?
>
> --
> Best regards,

I think the possible answers depend on your application; namely what is it written in? And where you want to do the reading/writing, the client, the application server, or the db server? In your case it would appear you want to do this at the application server.

If you are using Forms then I think there is a routine named something like text_io that you can use to read/write text files on the client. If you are running your forms from a Forms server then the client is on the server so text_io will work. If you are using a web server then the web server should support file IO operations via its supported scripting language. FTP could also be an option for some uses with a web server application.

You may want to re-post with more detail of what is you are trying to do and where it has to be done.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.