Re: Db Config. Assistant execution rights under NT

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 13:56:31 GMT

> I'm talking about the SERVER here of course: they don't
> want me to be administrator on the SERVER (but they gave
> me local administrator privileges on my own PC). It's
> because this box is also used as domain controller (and
> as web server, and as legato backup etc etc.)...

IMO, it's a road to ruin if an Oracle database is on an NT box with other production software not related to the Oracle application. There are just too many conflicts with administration of such a server. But I digress....

One of the things that I did was to keep bugging my NT admins every time I needed admin rights. So every time I needed to install software, I made sure that an NT admin was there helping me. Every time I applied a patch, I made sure that an NT admin was there helping me. Every time I needed to run a utility, I made sure that an NT admin was there helping me. Pretty soon, the NT admin got sick of "helping" me. Next thing you know, I had domain admin rights.

There are many DBAs who have domain admin rights on NT's and root privileges on Unix boxes. It just makes everyone's life easier.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at