the need for speed

From: <tshb_at_techprt.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:51:59 GMT

Hi,
I'm very new to Oracle and databases generally, so this might be a stupid question. I'm searching for fifty thousand values (stored as the primary key in a table) in a table of one hundred thousand (again, the primary key). The SQL is SELECT n.ID, c.ID FROM temp n,main c WHERE c.ID = n.ID ORDER BY n.ID.
No great shakes, I'm just wondering why it takes about 4 seconds to do it (from SQL Plus). Shouldn't it be quicker? Admittedly its a lot quicker than Access but how come search engines can find fifty trillion pages in 0.4 nano-seconds?
I'm using Oracle 8 Personal Edition, would using another version speed it up?
thanks,

Tim

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Nov 22 2000 - 04:51:59 CST