Re: Linux Version

From: Matt Foster <matt_foster_uk_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 19:55:31 +0000

Richard Curtis wrote:

> Hi. I am a complete novice here, and although I have used oracle, I have
> never had to install or configure it.
> I have got an out of the box linux installation, and I am in the process of
> downloading oracle 8i standard edition for linux.
> Can anyone give me any advance tips / points / web sites to look at which
> will assist me with the installation and configuration.
>
> Thanks
> Richard Curtis
>
> --
> "We've all heard that a million monkeys
> banging on a million typewriters will
> eventually reproduce the entire works of
> Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the
> Internet, we know this is not true."

amazon.co.uk doesn't have it, but http://www.amazon.com has the Oracle 8i for Linux starter kit

The NT starter kit is absolute rubbish (IMO) and not just because it's for NT, but the Linux set gets very good reveiws.

If you're in the process of downloading 8i, I assume you've already found technet, but metalink can also be useful.

http://metalink.oracle.com and register for free at the Bracknell server.

Last time I checked, http://www.oracledba.co.uk had a lot more information than it does at the moment. However, the links page lists a few of the best sites out there.

Finally, good luck.

MF