Re: updating tnsnames.ora and host file

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 14:07:16 GMT

Paul,

You can do one of two things which might help you out.

  1. put your TNSNAMES.ORA file on a central server. Have everyone point to that TNSNAMES file. Then you only have to update one file and everyone is instantly updated!
  2. Implement Oracle Names Server or Oralce Internet Directory (OiD). Both of these will do TNS names resolution similar to a Domain Names Server (DNS).

HTH,
Brian

Paul Durdin wrote:

> I need to programmatically update the tnsnames.ora and hosts file as part of
> an installation package. This keeps cropping up and I wondered how other
> folk manage this.
>
> I am forever needing to make changes to the files. I can do this as part of
> an install package or from SMS as part of a script. Ideally I need a utility
> that lets me add / amend / delete entries.
>
> I'm at the point of writing my own, but firstly I cant believe that someone
> hasn't already done this (e.g. Oracle?) and I note that Easy NetConfig
> complains long and hard if I make manually changes to tnsnames.ora
>
> --
> Paul Durdin
> Taradata Ltd
> PaulDurdin_at_iee.org