Re: How to set ACCESS connection to Read-Only?

From: <jocave_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 23:31:41 GMT

In article <VVlS5.218792$g6.101342009_at_news2.rdc2.tx.home.com>,   "Michael O'Neill" <mjoneill_at_email.com> wrote:
> "Yi Jin" <yijin_at_wam.umd.edu> wrote in message
> >
> > Our Oracle 8.1.5 database resides on a Solaris(SPARC) system. I've
 setup
> > NT 4 connection to the database through MS ODBC driver. It works
 fine,
> > except that I want read-only access from NT. How can I achieve that?
> > I am using MS ACCESS.
>
> Wouldn't the best place to handle the security of your Oracle objects
 be at
> the Oracle object level, not the connectivity driver? Make sure the
 schema
> has only SELECT grants.

I believe the reason that the Oracle driver added the read-only checkbox was for situations where a user needed to be able to modify data in general, but was using a GUI as a front-end that would change data too easily (i.e. an accidental typo overwrites and saves a field). Since ODBC auto-commits, this behavior grew annoying rather rapidly. If, in fact, the user should never have the right to modify the data, then setting the appropriate database privs is clearly the correct solution.

Justin Cave
No longer affiliated with Oracle

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Nov 21 2000 - 17:31:41 CST