Re: ODBC: How to set ACCESS connection to Read-Only?

From: <jocave_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 01:39:57 GMT

In article <8vc5ur$8d3_at_rac5.wam.umd.edu>,   yijin_at_wam.umd.edu (Yi Jin) wrote:

> Our Oracle 8.1.5 database resides on a Solaris(SPARC) system. I've
 setup
> NT 4 connection to the database through MS ODBC driver. It works fine,
> except that I want read-only access from NT. How can I achieve that?
> I am using MS ACCESS.
>
> Also, is there anyway that a client is required to specify 'COMMIT'
> before save the change? Or set the default to 'autocommit off'?

The Oracle ODBC driver allows you to set up a read-only DSN, but I'm not aware of a way to force the MS ODBC driver to do so.

The ODBC specification states that the default mode is autocommit and I'm not aware of an ODBC driver that allows you to override this. If you connect in read-only mode (using the Oracle ODBC driver), you'll get an error if you issue an insert or update command.

Justin Cave
No longer affiliated with Oracle

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Nov 20 2000 - 19:39:57 CST