How to store fractional seconds

From: <jlobugli_at_mwra.state.ma.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:34:52 GMT

I have to store a date/time down to the tenth of one second. I see my options as:

  1. Use two fields, a date field which goes down to the second and and a number field storing the fraction of a second. The number field could store either (a) an integer being the number of tenths of a second
    (number(1,0)) or (b) the fraction of a second to some greater precision
    (number(3,3)).
  2. An Excel-like number representing the number of days since a fixed time, stored to enough precision to capture at least 1/10 of a second.

I am leaning towards option 1(a), though I am open to any other suggestions. I am storing streamed instrument data so there will be millions of rows stored.

I am using Oracle7 Server Release 7.1.5.2.3. Would there be a better solution with Oracle 8i? We will (hopefully) be upgrading soon.

Thanks

Joe LoBuglio
joe.lobuglio_at_mwra.state.ma.us

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Nov 17 2000 - 09:34:52 CST