Re: Accessing Oracle 8i with ASP and ODBC

From: <narcolepsy_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 13:02:51 GMT

Hi Justin, thank you for your reply. I suppose that could be the case, that the problem is a network issue, although it would be the only case of network problems that I have encountered. And the fact that I am able to duplicate it on another machine as well makes me feel less confindent about that idea. Nevertheless, I will check that my network configuration is correct, and I appreciate the help.

Chris

In article <8v1ms4$5ma$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   jocave_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <8v1ish$1ut$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> narcolepsy_at_my-deja.com wrote (in part):
> > However, I would say about 4-10 times a day, for some
> > reason, the connection between the ASP page and the Oracle server
 dies,
> > and the ASP page returns an Oracle error TNS:Connection Lost.
 However, I then
> > noticed the same exact thing would happen when I was using MSAccess
> > link the Oracle tables so I could access the data locally. I would
 be
> > right in the middle of something, and poof, "ODBC called failed".
> > The DBA thinks I am crazy because he claims that he has never
 received
> > the error, even though his workstation is set up identically to mine
> > (nt server, sp6) and he does a fair amount of development as well
> > (mainly with DLLs however). Any ideas? Right now it is more of an
> > annoyance than anything else, but when I have to promote to code to
> > production, I want to be sure that everything is going to remain
> > stable. Are there any tests I could do? Has anyone seen this issue
> > before? I appreciate any help and thank you in advance.
>
> Is it possible that there's a physical network problem that's
 affecting
> you and not the DBA? We've encountered cases where things like this
> were occuring because the network was causing the connection to be
> dropped.
>
> When an ODBC driver encounters a problem like a dropped connection, it
> will give very specific error codes to indicate the problem.
> Applications should be coded to check these status codes and, where
> appropriate, to re-establish the connection. I'm not certain how ADO
> reports these error conditions, but I assume it does.
>
> --
> Justin Cave - Oracle ODBC Development
>
> Opinions expressed herein are my own and may not reflect those of
> Oracle Corporation.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Nov 17 2000 - 07:02:51 CST