Accessing Oracle 8i with ASP and ODBC

From: <narcolepsy_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 21:17:14 GMT

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this problem because it has stumped me for about a month now. I am primarily an ASP developer, yet I have an extensive background in databases as well. I recently started working at a new company that uses Oracle as their base, and I quickly adapted, as apart from simple ODBC calls from ASP, there isn't much I need to do on the DBA side of things. Here is where the problem arises. I can set up my DSN's just fine, I use Easy Config and step through the process, the test is sucessful, and everything works just fine. However, I would say about 4-10 times a day, for some reason, the connection between the ASP page and the Oracle server dies, and the ASP page returns an Oracle error TNS:Connection Lost. At first, I thought it might have something to do with the Oracle client installation on my local machine (where the code was running in development). I am running NT server sp6a. I then attempted to migrate the code over to a brand new install of win2k server, and I am encountering the same exact issues. It seems to happen without reason, it works just fine for 4 hours or so, and then I click refresh and it dies. I have attempted numerous things to isolate the problem, I thought it may have been an issue with IIS, and so I have tried stopping and restarting all of the services, but that seems to have no effect. Even rebooting the machine doesn't seem to help, although sometimes that has rectified the situation. I then suspected my ASP code, although it fails on a simple select and I am overzealous about closing my connections and being resource savvy. However, I then noticed the same exact thing would happen when I was using MSAccess to link the Oracle tables so I could access the data locally. I would be right in the middle of something, and poof, "ODBC called failed". The DBA thinks I am crazy because he claims that he has never received the error, even though his workstation is set up identically to mine
(nt server, sp6) and he does a fair amount of development as well
(mainly with DLLs however). Any ideas? Right now it is more of an
annoyance than anything else, but when I have to promote to code to production, I want to be sure that everything is going to remain stable. Are there any tests I could do? Has anyone seen this issue before? I appreciate any help and thank you in advance.

Christopher

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Nov 16 2000 - 15:17:14 CST